Monday, August 3, 2009

*sigh* so tired... :) #10 Young Maidens Daybook

Well as the title says I am writing this at an unearthly hour... 6:30 AM. I guess it really isn't all that unearthly, lol, but it is when you have already been up for 3 and a half hours. But that story isn't all that interesting so I don't think I will tell it.
Well Saturday was spent marking, sorting, de-horning, ear tagging, and spray painting our poddie calves. Actually that list should probably read sorting, marking, ear tagging, de-horning, spray painting and sorting again, lol! Ok to explain (if you are squeamish do not continue reading this)...
Sorting= we had a few cows in with the calves.
Marking= is a nice word for castrating (I wont go into details).
Ear tagging= Because we cant buy or sell or move cows/calves with out some sort of ID (so that if they have diseases the Government can track and stop the spread, just one aspect) we have to fit an electronic ear tag to their ears (just like getting their ears pieced, except that the ear tag is permanent and they cant change them for prettier ones, lol).
De-horning= A lot of cattle have horns, which can be dangerous for humans and for other cattle so we have to remove them. This is probably one of my least favorite jobs to do, because it involves either cutting the horns off with huge clippers or (if the horns are still very small) you can burn them and because it kinda stunts the growth and this is the most humane way of doing it. A lot of people don't know this but cutting off horns is not as painless as cutting off a toe nail and there is a lot of blood involved. I wont go any further into detail because even though I am not squeamish at much at all it made me feel ill.
Spray painting= this was fun! We had to paint a dot on the top of their tails to tell which ones we wanted where. Some were going back to Cudgewa and some others were going to our boss' farm up near Sydney and some of them we were keeping here because they still need to gain a lot more weight before they go anywhere.
A Young Maiden's Day book
Today... Monday 3 August 2009
Outside my window... The sky has really dark rain clouds over it, the grass is an iridescent green, its been light for about 1/2 an hour.
I am thinking... That I am happy that I got to video chat with Cassie yesterday!!! And I cant wait to talk to her again :D and that I am really tired.
I am thankful for... God's grace, and that I am weak but He is strong.
I am wearing.. My pink p.j.s and am wrapped in a blanket (the best way to be at this time of morning, lol).
I am reading... I Isaac Take Thee Rebekah by Ravi Zacharias, great book, just not finished it yet :)
I am creating... A handbag made from recycled jeans, love making them :D
One of my favorite things... sleep :D.
For education this week... writing (like always) :)
A keeper at home skill I am learning/using... to be creative in the kitchen when there isn't anything to eat, lol!
(I wont bore you with these two because they haven't changed yet)
For the rest of the week... Hair cut today, feeding calves every morning, writing, cooking, sewing, Dentist on Thursday (AHH!!) pain Friday (lol), rest Saturday/Sunday.
I don't have a picture to share.

No comments: